Climbing Gym Instructor
Level 1 Climbing Gym Instructor
- You must be 18 (19 in BC) years of age.
- Note: Underage candidates will be considered for the program (minumum 16 years of age) however applicants must use the Underage Application package found in 'Application Info'.
- Proof of a current Standard First Aid and CPR course
- A letter of recommendation from a facility operator, ACMG Level 2 or 3 CGI, or ACMG Guide which confirms you:
- Have 2 years climbing experience (include total number of days climbed).
- Top rope 5.10 and lead 5.9 on artificial structures.
- Have climbed in at least 2 different facilities.
- Have observed or shadowed 8 hrs of climbing instruction where top rope (harness and belay skills) and movement skills were taught. This is exposure to instructional styles, content and presentation to be more comfortable and prepared with the content and expectations of the CGI 1 program.
Level 2 Climbing Gym Instructor
- You must have a Level 1 Climbing Gym Instructor Certificate.
- Proof of a current Standard First Aid course and CPR certificate
- A letter of recommendation from a facility operator, ACMG Level 3 CGI, or ACMG Guide which confirms:
- You flash 5.10+ on artificial structures or rock
- You assisted on several advanced movement and lead climbing courses
- Thirty hours of instruction work (after Level 1 certification)
- Outdoor rock experience including your top 10 sport climbing flashes on rock
Standard First Aid Course
The Climbing Instructor Programs require a Standard First Aid Course. These courses usually run over a two-day period (minimum 16 hrs), combining theory and practical sessions to provide the basis for dealing with traumatic and medical emergencies.
- First Aid Courses
Standard First Aid and CPR Course
Thesecourses usually run over a two-day period (minimum 16 hrs), combining theory and practical sessions to provide the basis for dealing with traumatic and medical emergencies.
The ACMG does not run these programs but rather relies on outside course providers. Programs from the following, partial list have proven acceptable in the past. Please contact the ACMG Training and Certification program office if you have any questions.