Most of the geographic specific sites, such as Weather, Avalanche, Accommodation, etc., focus on the mountainous regions of Western Canada.
These weather links are geared to Western Canada. For a more complete listing of weather sites check out the Canadian Avalanche Association Site.
- Alberta/BC Weather - Environment Canada site includes text, satellite and radar information.
- The Weather Network - This is the online site for the 24 hour TV station. Easy access to maps via thumbnail pics.
- Snow-Forecast.com - Free service providing daily snow forecast and temperature maps for ski and mountaineering areas around the world. Features global overviews for all the continents and detailed local forecasts for many popular ski locations.
- Center for Ocean, Land, and Atmosphere - Worldwide coverage as well as North America. Great tutorials to assist with interpreting the coloured graphical information.
- Canadian Avalanche Association -Weather (CAA) - Excellent overview of current and forcasted systems
Web Cams - These sites give a view of current conditions during daylight hours for:
- Lake Louise, Sunshine and Jasper (Marmot)
- Whistler- Blackcomb Web Cams - Four cams showing a good view of the area.
- Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA) - Operates the Canadian Avalanche Centre (CACentre) in interior British Columbia, at the heart of avalanche country. Best all-round site for info in Canada.
- Kananaskis Avalanche Information - Info for K-country in Central Rockies.
- Parks Canada Avalanche Information - Rocky Mountains, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Jasper, Waterton, Glacier (Rogers Pass) Bulletins.
- Whistler Blackcomb Avalanche Information - Coast Mountains, Whistler area
Accommodation and Guided Trips
- Backcountry Lodges of British Columbia - Info and listing for backcountry lodges in B.C.
- Alpine Club of Canada - The ACC runs many of the remote hut accommodations as well as a clubhouse in Canmore.
- Youth Hostel Association - Runs many of the road accessed huts/hostels in the mountain regions.
- Alberta Travel Guide - Tourist guide, includes information on accommodations, attractions and activities.
- BC Travel Guide - Tourist guide, includes information on accommodations, attractions and activities.
Route Info and Guide Books
- TABVAR - A great source of information on new routes in the Rockies and an excellent opportunity to make a contribution to the development and maintenance of routes.
- Skaha.org - Info on climbing at Skaha Bluffs, BC - new route descriptions and grades, topos to selected crags, and updates on access issues.
- Rocky Mountain Books - Contains updates on new routes and some old ones, also a great source for guide books for the Rockies.
- Quickdraw Publications - Great source of climbing and skiing guidebooks for Squamish and Whistler Blackcomb area.
- Gripped - A Canadian magazine featuring Canadian climbing and climbers. Check it out!
- Explore - A Canadian outdoor generalist magazine with good overviews of many outdoor activities and destinations.
- Rock and Ice - An American publication that covers climbing around the world with an emphasis on the US but with reasonable Canadian content.
- Climbing - A fancy publication that still has some useful info in spite of going mainstream.
- Alpinist Magazine - They truly adhere to what alpinism and climbing is all about. Basically climbing minus the pop-culture. Highly respectable rag.
Clubs and Organizations
- The Alpine Club of Canada - Canada's national mountaineering club.
- Climbers Access Society of B.C. - Independent not-for-profit society which provides a united, province-wide voice on climbers' access issues.
- The Calgary Mountain Club - A nondescript climbers organization created to fulfill the social requirements of its members (they wrote it not me).
- The American Alpine Club - Good source of info for those traveling to the USA.
Environmental Groups - This is a short list of some of the more prominent Western Canadian groups; the CPAWS site has a more complete list.