The ACMG does not run these programs but rather relies on outside course providers.
- For the Mountain Guide and Hiking Guide Programs an Advanced Wilderness First Aid course with a minimum of 80 hours is required. Although wilderness courses are preferred, Occupational First Aid Level 3 is also accepted.
- The Climbing Instructor Programs require a Standard First Aid Course. These courses usually run over a two-day period (minimum 16 hrs), combining theory and practical sessions to provide the basis for dealing with traumatic and medical emergencies.
Advanced Wilderness First AidAn Advanced Wilderness First Aid course with a minimum 80 hours is required. Courses from the following partial list of providers have proven adequate in the past. Contact the Canadian Mountain and Ski Guide Program office if you are uncertain about other programs.
- Alberta Health and Safety Training Institute
125 3510 29th Street NE Calgary AB T1Y7E5
Phones 1.888.670.5406, 403-670-5406, fax 1-866-202-1822
- Canadian Institute of Safety Search and Rescue Advanced First Aid
Box 6151, Cochrane AB TOL OW0 Phone 403-932-3689
- Outdoor Emergency Care Program - National Ski Patrol
NSP National Office 133 South Van Gordon Street, Suite 100 Lakewood, CO 80228
- Pacific Alpine Institute
102-4369 Main Street, Suite #997, Whistler, B.C. V0N 1B4 Phone 604 938-7846
- Peak Emergency Response Training
1717 Beach Grove Road South Delta, BC V4L 1P4
778.899.7325, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.peakemergencytraining.com
- Remote Medical International
3400 Harbor Ave SW. Suite 344 Seattle, WA 98116
206.686.4878 Toll Free: 800.597.4911 email@example.com, www.remotemedical.com
- Rescue Dynamics
5109 -17 A Ave. NW, Edmonton AB T6L 1K51
780-461-5040 firstname.lastname@example.org, www.rescuedynamics.ca
- Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine Inc.
9 Manyhorses Close, Redwood Meadows, AB T3Z 1A1
Phone/Fax 403-949-2632 email@example.com, www.adventuremed.ca
- Sirius Wilderness Medicine
2685 rue Rolland, suite 303, Ste-Adèle, QC J8B 1C9
Phone 514.509.2112, Toll free 877.982.0066, Fax 514.509.2123
email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.siriusmed.com
- Slipstream Wilderness First Aid
#403 110-174 Wilson Street, Victoria, BC, V9A 7N7
1-800-760-3188 email: email@example.com, web: www.wildernessfirstaid.ca
- Wilderness Alert Safety Training & Products
Box 95050 Vancouver BC V6P 6V5
Phone 604-263-1432 or 1-800-298-9919 email:
firstname.lastname@example.org, web: www.wildernessalert.com
- Wilderness Medical Associates, Canada
106- 1100 Main St. W., Hamilton ON L8S 1B3
Phone toll free 1-877-945-3633, 905-524-5531 web www.wildmed.ca
- Wilderness Medical Consultants
Box 64 - 512-9th St South, Golden, BC V0A 1H0
Toll free 1-888-344-4755, 250.344.4755 web www.wildernessmedicalconsultants.ca
These courses usually run over a two-day period (minimum 16 hrs), combining theory and practical sessions to provide the basis for dealing with traumatic and medical emergencies.
The ACMG does not run these programs but rather relies on outside course providers. Programs from the following, partial list have proven acceptable in the past. Please contact the ACMG Training and Certification program office if you have any questions.
Explore these sites to find information and contact numbers to find a course near you:
You can also check the Advanced First Aid Providers. Some of them may offer Standard First Aid.